Páginas

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Diary of a DAAP Kid: School / Life balance?

Is there even such a thing? My first four years of DAAP involved way too many late nights, tears, and frustrated outcries. I turned down a lot of social events, conversations, and potential memories to focus on my school work. I wonder now if it was worth it.

Because I officially now only have 98 days until graduation, it's important to me to make every moment count. I'm a lot more involved with my friends and my city now, and there are many options available to me for various entertaining ways to spend my evenings and weekends.

My mom told me that I have an option: I can spend 80% of my time getting 20% of my work done (by distracting myself along the way, or I can spend 20% of my time getting 80% done, by focusing like a boss and Taking Care of Business. Due to my generational lack of focus I feel like it's more 30/70, but I like the idea and am looking forward to implementing it (ya know, after this blog post.)

So far this quarter I've done a great job with not turning down opportunities to make great memories. I've gone dancing, imbibed great beer, played broomball, taken yoga, eaten great food, and more. Up until this week it's been a good balance, and I've gotten my work done to a degree that satisfies me.

Now it is Project Week... the week before Finals week, in which the studio classes in DAAP require the final work in the class to be completed. Basically, I have two final weeks. This week for studio, next week for the rest of my elective classes.

I am presenting my final work this coming Wednesday (are you excited? I am!), and I have a ton of work to do before now and then. So this weekend (the best weather of the year so far) I am entombing myself within Eisenman's four many faceted walls and not coming out until I have a product I'm satisfied with. It sucks, but hey... graduating is important to me.

I got to participate in the Bockfest parade yesterday, which fulfilled my need to be social and not feel like I was completely missing out on the weekend's festivities.

Okay. Here we gooooooo!!
 
yaaay Bockfest!!

1 comment:

  1. good luck on your presentation! i know u'll rock it ;)

    ReplyDelete