Páginas

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Green Goals for 2010, #2

The second goal I've set for myself for 2010 is buying local. I already do quite a bit, and it's been a huge trend for 2009 (one that hopefully will continue and become a reality, and not a novelty.) However, I propose moving beyond getting my produce at Findlay Market (though it is awesome produce, meat, food, and more!)


p&g photo credit here

If I'm gonna buy a big name brand, and you know I'm going to do it eventually, I might as well consider buying a brand that is headquartered and employs people in Cincinnati? It's crazy when you think of how many headquarters are located in our fair city: P&G is the obvious one, but there's also hometown heroes Chiquita, KAO (Jergens), even Sunny Delight (ew) is headquartered somewhere near Blue Ash.

Do I need to get gas? Go to UDF. Need to do grocery shopping and can't get to Findlay? Go to Krogers. Fly Delta. These companies employ people and trickle money through our local economy. The rate of return is not as significant as buying locally through small businesses, but every little bit helps. (Check out the official wikipedia list of Cincinnati corporations here)

However, you know how attached I am to my beloved Aldi's... so I looked it up. Batavia, Illinois is only 331 miles away. The buy local movement recommends searching for food between 1 - 500 miles away from home, so.... jackpot!

It's just a way to stretch my dollar even further. I'm excited to see how far it goes.

1 comment:

  1. Virtually everything I buy has a Cincinnati connection. It's been something I've been doing for some time now, and is actually quite easy to accomplish given all of the great companies and products that come from Cincinnati.

    ReplyDelete