Páginas

Friday, February 5, 2010

Daddy's Girl



It's a crazy busy day in a crazy busy set of days as I rush around preparing for my midterm presentation. College "midterms" usually include several tests and some papers for most students, but in design it's different. I present my entire set of ideas surrounding my senior project to a panel of critiquers, who then grill me for an hour, giving feedback on what I've done so far. To put it mildly, there's a lot of work and not much sleep ahead for me this weekend, but I'm excited about my ideas and take comfort in the fact that if I take my time, I will turn out an excellent project.

But anyway... today is the 11th anniversary of my father's death. He died of liver cancer on Feburary 5th, 1999, after living far longer than any doctor expected him to. He fought incredibly hard in order to be with my sister and I for as long as possible, and I'm grateful for that.

Eleven years is a long time. Yes, I am sad, but mostly I work hard to remember, good and bad, the man was Darrel Kessler. It's kind of awesome that I end up in design. He initially started a college career in architecture at Ball State University, but dropped out after a year because it wasn't exactly his bag. He went on to become an EMT, meet my mom, and eventually go to chiropractic college.

He worked incredibly hard and was a fierce learner. Even after he graduated from Logan College of Chiropractic, he still returned to St. Louis on weekends to complete continuing education credits in order to stay on top of the field. He was also really into technology, and I know that if he was around today, his mind would be totally blown from all the advances we've made (and he would be on every social network known to man!)

Keeping this in mind, I know I am a Daddy's girl. I'm finishing what he started with the whole architecture thing (and my sister, ironically enough, is attending Ball State!) I know he would be proud of me with the things I've accomplished thus far, and excited and okay with the choices I've made in my life. I keep the spirit of my dad in mind, especially today of all days.

So don't be super sad for me. It's been a hard thing to go through, but I'm stronger, my family is stronger, and I know he would be cheering me on 100%. (and if you're looking for a tearjerker, check my post from last year. Don't say I didn't warn you...)

1 comment:

  1. This is an awesome post. As someone who lost her mother to liver cancer at much too early of an age, I appreciate your thoughts more than you realize. Your dad must have been quite the guy--and I'm sure he's looking down on all your amazing accomplishments. You're wise beyond your years. Keep it up--and remember: Good memories live forever!

    ReplyDelete