Páginas

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Diary of a DAAP Kid: money in the bank, bank.

money well spent.


So I'm kind of in between jobs right now. A few things here, a few things there, but I'm in school, not a working full time co-op job with full time pay. On top of that, school's expensive. And time consuming. Most college students spend their money right off the bat in the beginning of the quarter purchasing textbooks. Not only do I purchase textbooks for my elective classes (Hellooo "Sustainable Urban Development Reader, 2nd edition") but I also have to purchase art supplies and cover the cost of printing ($12 a linear foot for plots, anyone!?) periodically during the quarter. These costs are less predictable and can easily skyrocket, depending on my project and how many supplies I have to start with. Basically, being a design student in DAAP is expensive!

I'm okay with spending money that I need to, but my supply is dwindling. I've taken a look at the books, and I've really got to be careful about what I'm spending my money on, or get a more consistently paying job (with super flexible hours, that I don't have to spend too much time with... yeah...) I've picked the latter, and am attempting to curtail my weekend spending.

This weekend I gave myself a limit of $20. Seems like no big deal, but it goes quickly!! I basically blew my cash all on Friday night - and that was okay. Let's get the breakdown.

Wine tasting with studio gals at Ludlow Beer and Wine: $5
Cafe de Wheels chicken sandwich and sweet potato fries: $8.50
Crappy overly hoppy beer at Grammar's + tip: $5

so in less than 6 hours, I had spent $18.50 out of $20.00. Don't get me wrong, it was amazing (as was the Final Friday gallery walk with free food and beer that went with it!!!) However, it stifled the rest of my weekend. So Saturday night I stayed in with my roomies and made a delicious meal with ingredients I already had on hand. Free movie, free meal. A pretty great Saturday.



I'm thrifty and tenacious, so I don't imagine I'll have a hard time staying within whatever budget I set for myself. The point is being more thoughtful with my credit cards so that I don't blow through money... so, if I have food at home, I need to eat it and make it, not get take out. Thinking before purchasing. It's a good goal.

3 comments:

  1. Yes! All these thrifty habits are really helpful beyond school as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its really bad with a debit card you don't even realize it.
    Sometimes I'll grab cash and man does it disapear fast. Really makes you think about what you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to budget sometimes. Like 5chw4r7z, I've started limiting myself to $25-$30 in cash each week and working with that. I slip up and cheat sometimes, but you can bet I think long and hard about spending my last $5!

    ~Tamia
    TheStyleSample

    ReplyDelete