Páginas

Monday, May 17, 2010

Diary of a DAAP Kid: The Importance of Portfolio

For most soon to be graduates, having a finely crafted Microsoft Word formatted resume crammed full with campus leadership positions and summer internship experience will be enough to land them in their desired post-college position.

Not so with the dedicated DAAP-er. Because the work we do is visual in nature, it is necessary to have a compiled selection of past school and paid work that is graphically pleasing. For those out of the loop, this is called a portfolio, and can be the bane of many student's existence. Now not only do the cover letters and resumes need to stand out, but the very way one's portfolio is arranged speaks volumes about one's design sensibilities, and yes... they will be judged.

I have successfully constructed a digital portfolio that is printed out into a booklet I can bring to interviews and discuss with potential employers, but it is also necessary to leave an impression upon meeting new design colleagues. I have been directing people to this blog, and today I am proud to say that it will be easy to access my online work as well as my writing and various outlets!!

Please, check it out and let me know what you think. I will eventually be adding my senior project work... as soon as it is complete!!

5 comments:

  1. For a portfolio on a disk, are there any, I dunno, standards?
    Like minimum maximum resolutions? Simple PowerPoint/HTML or more interactive Flash. Just let folks crawl around through the file system?
    Is exciting music good or bad for your field?
    I have seen janitor's "resumes" scribbled in pencil on torn paper & napkins. It's kinda sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it depends on the discipline. traditionally in interior design/architecture, we design a PDF that can be emailed or put on a disk, or printed out onto 8.5x11 or 11x17 spreads.

    if one is in the field of digital design, however, it's very customary to have a website showcasing your skills.

    i have been working toward incorporating my writing as well as getting my work into a easily readable format that I can send a link to or attach to my emails. some people I know use Flash, but I shied away from it as you can't read Flash on a smart phone or an iPad.

    CarbonMade ended up working out really well simply due to its ease of use. I put the portfolio together fairly quickly, and I like the way it looks and that I can add so much to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed looking at the photography - Especially appreciated that mailbox picture, you captured so many different shades of light and dark, and it ends up having so much "texture."

    Fantastic body of work - best of luck down the home stretch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love that idea of an online portfolio. today more and more employers and prospective clients look prefer digital work (unless, of course youre in the painting, sculpture, etc field)
    but it's such a good idea to reach people far away as well as up close. Great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay for carbonmade! thumbs up :)

    ReplyDelete