Páginas

Friday, September 3, 2010

Energy Game

I started a new position at the Greater Cincinnati Energy Alliance at the beginning of August, and since then, energy efficiency has been on my mind quite a bit. This new job coupled with my new apartment (and subsequent new Duke Energy bill) has really given me pause as to how I use energy in my new abode.

For me right now energy efficiency is mostly about saving money, but in the long run, it's also about reducing my carbon footprint. The majority of electricity in Ohio is generated by burning coal, which is not so great.

I was super lucky to have moved at the end of August, and with the exception of a few warm days last week the climate inside the apartment has been really pleasant for myself and the kittens. I leave the windows open all the time (with screens in, so my kamikaze kittens don't fall to their deaths) and use the ceiling fans.

(image from Good.is - shows how much energy devices use in standby mode/plugged in)


Right now, I have a grand total of 4 items in my place plugged in: the fridge, my bedside clock, and two surge protectors (one that is always plugged in that houses the internet connection, the other housing a lamp and my laptop charger that will be turned off after I'm done for the evening.)

My challenge to myself (and to you!) - how cognicent can I be about my energy usage? It's so easy to leave stuff plugged in, but even if a gadget (even a cell phone charger!) isn't being used, if it's plugged in it will still draw energy out. Which blows, both for my wallet and for the planet.

There are some things (like my desktop computer setup) that I really don't want to unplug, so I've connected all those outlets to a surge protector, and when the protector is turned off it doesn't draw energy. Voila.

I'm going to start this month and see how low I can keep my energy bill. Of course, the course may change once winter comes along!

1 comment:

  1. It was just a concept, but a neat device I saw was a key fob that plugged in near the door, when you leave the house and grab your keys, you turn off all those vampire devices. Come home, plug your keys back in and they all turn on.
    So simple, we just need developers to embrace some technology to do this for us.

    ReplyDelete