Páginas

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Diary of a DAAP kid: fun on the cheap

Ack! Has it really been an entire week since I posted? Hmph. School is starting to catch up with me, but no worries: I've only got three weeks left to go. Oh dear. I've only got three weeks left to go...

Once I start co-op in the middle of June I will be able to post a lot more. I've committed to keeping this blog for at least six months. So, anyway...

I like to go out and do things. I like seeing shows, going to the opera or ballet, seeing exhibits at museums... "culture", if you will. However, as a college student on a currently non-existant income, I really don't have the money to shell out for $20-$50 tickets every week. The two things I've utilized in doing fun things in Cincy for free:

- Enjoy the Arts

- Keeping my eyes and ears open.



Even if you're no longer a student, Enjoy the Arts is a sweet friggin' deal if there ever was one. $25 a year (student price) gets you a packet full of free tickets and major discounts to 40 venues and events in Cincinnati - from a 2-person pass to the Cincinnati Pops to a free dance class at Ballet Theatre Midwest.

They also send you an email every week with all the events going on in the area by their sponsors. I've been a member since my freshman year of college, and have experienced a lot of neat events because of this organization.


Okay, so the second thing I mentioned on 'how to do things for cheap/free' seems pretty intuitive, but really, it's not. There are always fliers for concerts, events, and of course housing plastered on top of each other around DAAP and the rest of campus (as well as coffee shops and random telephone poles around the city)



I feel like sometimes the sheer amount of information coming in makes it hard for us to notice little details. Little details are something I'm into, and so I notice the fliers. And then, I do cool things.

Facebook and Twitter also help me keep up with things that are going on...
Speaking of,the Cincinnati Innovates competition is kicking off at Fountain Square today at 4:30. Even if you don't make it out, you can still vote for my bins here:

Vote for my bins on Cincy Innovates!

No comments:

Post a Comment