Páginas

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Moving on Up...

My transformation from DAAP kid to grown up (whatever that means) continues to march forward, slowly but surely. The lease to the house I've resided in for the last 3 years expires September 1st.  That's 34 days. By that time I will have left the world of Clifton Heights, with its Tuesday night parties til 4 in the morning, student housing, and sharing a refrigerator with 3 other people.

Yes. I am going to have my OWN refrigerator!! And not only that, but my own refrigerator (along with my own rest of an apartment) is located on my favorite street in Cincinnati, in my favorite neighborhood in Cincinnati.

I am moving to Over the Rhine!


thanks ifmuth for a GREAT photo!

I'm just a little bit excited. Not only am I moving to an area that is easily bikeable and walkable, but on my new street alone I know 4 people that live there. Last night I attended a Safety Sector meeting for the part of OTR I am moving to, and 40 people came to the meeting. I was surrounded by friends and new neighbors, and the energy and excitement I felt surging through the room confirmed my decision all the more. I am moving to a community. Where I know people. And they know me. Amazing.

 thanks taestell for a GREAT photo!

The sustainable side of me is also excited. Having stayed in one place for three years (granted, it's been a new room each time...), I've accumulated stuff that I am ready to purge. I only want to have possessions in my life that I truly need, want and appreciate.

That being said, I don't have a lot. I have bedroom furniture and a metal kitchen rack... and that's pretty much it. I will be hopefully be getting some hand me down appliances, dishware and the like from my grandparents who need to purge some stuff from their house. And of course there will be the obligatory trips to Goodwill, antique stores, and IKEA...

But this is where you come in! You, yes YOU, dear reader, can be sustainable as well. Are there household goods or furniture lying around that you just can't quite commit to donating or throwing out? Have you been eying that new Le Crueset pan that you would LOVE to have, except that you already have a pan that works just as well? Take the guilt off your chest, and give that stuff you don't want... to me!

It's a win win situation for everyone. I can't wait to upcycle old (perhaps ugly) furniture and make it into something beautiful. DesignSponge does an amazing job of posting before and after shots of crafty people who see possibility in old worn out furniture. See?




I'll be keeping you updated on my new apartment transformation. If you have old furniture or other household goods you'd love to get off your hands and into my new place, email me (JenLKessler (at) gmail (dot) com) or get at me on Twitter.

10 comments:

  1. I am so happy you will be joining us down here! Love ya buddy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great decision, Jenny. Good luck... and the OTR community is lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy you're down here. Your energy is palpable and will help further the movement. Viva la OtR!

    ReplyDelete
  4. cool... congrats! i'm holding out in clifton gaslight... still my favorite 'hood in the city.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, when I saw the "before" shot of that chair on D*S, I assumed it was the "after." It looks so much like the "artfully trashed" furniture and interiors that I've been seeing in decor publications lately. Of course, the real "after" is lovely.

    Anyway, best of luck, and welcome to the neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The bad thing about living on your own is that you still lose stuff but you have nobody to blame.
    Dunno how broke you are, maybe you could sell some blood, but there's a neighborhood wide yard sale in Northside next weekend.
    http://www.northside.net/%7esale/
    Stick the bike onto the 17 & then roll around the neighborhood wondering how you're gonna get that really cool chifforobe back home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job on the move and awesome job on the chair renovation! I love old pieces of furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Belated Congrats!

    I do have a couple of kitchen items to donate to the cause. BTW: I found this very useful in terms of outfitting a kitchen wisely:

    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/09/dining/09mini.html?_r=1&ref=mark_bittman

    ReplyDelete