Páginas

Monday, July 19, 2010

Some Good Advice

I've been graduated for almost 6 weeks. Crazy, huh? Between several part time gigs and free lance opportunities, writing, and the Big Job Search, I've definitely been keeping busy.

Objective #1 has been to find myself some sort of gainful employment that, in theory, gives me new experiences and helps to develop and hone my skills. Oh yeah... and pays dem bills. Kittens aren't cheap!

I'm currently doing some design rendering work for a well known laminate company in the area. Add in a few other part time opportunities doing research and graphic design for some friends and their companies, and that adds up to enough income to squeak by.



Objective #2 is obviously one of those Big Girl Jobs. So far it's 0 for 3, but each "we'll keep your resume for future reference" email adds another layer to my resolve. I know it's going to take a while. In the mean time, I saw this video collaboration from a handful of some of America's most creative thinkers and individuals.

"If I knew Then What I Know Now: Advice for Young Creatives"


If I Knew Then What I Know Now: Advice for Young Creatives from 99% on Vimeo.


The 99 percent project brings articles and inspiration to creatives from all over the web. Some of the advice in the video  (for those of you not waiting around to watch it) includes:

* The job is not about you. It's about the ideas, the client.
* Don't try to fit in - be brave, and find the right people to collaborate with
* Keep working.
* Go out and find something that matters.

And my favorite... "Find your own voice, and know your self, what you're passionate about."

It's really encouraging to hear advice from people who've been in my position and are now doing awesome, incredible projects.

2 comments:

  1. I've been rocking the underemployment for over a year now, the key is keeping options open, and do what you want - to the extent you can. Also, this grout notion is helpful: http://lifehacker.com/5590732/how-to-find-time-to-learn-something-new-or-tackle-a-passion-project

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the encouragement, Kara. Glad to hear you're doing well :)

    ReplyDelete