Páginas

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Call to Bloggers: Transit

As a very small part of the amazing blogging community in Cincinnati, I've had ample time to read tons of great posts about the most important issue going on in our fair city: The Anti-Rail Transportation Charter Amendment. I'm not even going to say the "s" word. This issue far surpasses the current rail options being looked into for the city center.

If this ballot initiative passes, it will be very difficult for Cincinnati as a city to compete with others around the country who are being proactive in updating their city centers so that people WANT to live, work and play there.

I've lived in Cincinnati for the last four years of my life, and I know its workings better than many of my friends who grew up here. This IS my home, and I have an obnoxious amount of optimism when it comes to the Queen City's future.

That being said, I have grown tired of running around in circles when it comes to the COAST v. Cincinnatians for Progress issue. I am reading the same blogs, tweeting the same tweets, and talking to the same people who agree with me in thinking that this amendment CANNOT pass. It's great that there is so much enthusiasm and recently, so much press coverage about this amendment.

Honestly, guys... I don't think the Anti Rail Amendment will be voted down if we continue on the way we are now. I know that it is still early in the game to be thinking this way. According to one of the Cincinnatians for Progress representatives who spoke at the Downtown Residents Council this evening (I consider myself a part-time DT resident ;) ) "Information is the key" He insinuated that there will be many measures unrolled between now and Election Day. He also called for interested parties to sign up and volunteer their time, monies, and/or talent at

www.Cincinnatiansforprogress.com



I've heard some people mention that all this issue needs is "a really great PR team." Helloooo.. this community of bloggers and tweeters is a fantastic PR team. We've got a lot of man power and creativity right here. For free.

If voting down the Anti-Rail Amendment is something you feel passionate about, then you should try and do what you can to reach out to the people (in Price Hill, Westwood, Madisonville, Mt. Washington and all the other city voting neighborhoods ) who don't know, don't care, or are misinformed about what this potentially means for Cincinnati. We can talk about it together all we want, but in the end it isn't worth beans when the majority rules. I know maybe for some of you


(thanks Dan/P+V!)

but some of these Cincinnati blogs are read by people outside the city core. Blogs about food, being cheap, being a mom

ya'all reach a lot of people, every day. I don't know what the solution is. Maybe it's YouTube videos, door-to-door canvassing, or talking to radio personalities on their Morning Shows (hey there Married With Microphones!). Maybe CFP and Mayor Mallory have something amazing up their sleeves and I am totally in the dark.

But I do know that we have to reach outside of our comfort zones and start talking to whoever we know, who isn't IN the know.

Because we love Cincinnati, and think it's got a fantastic freakin' future.

Night, ya'll.

8 comments:

  1. Awesome take!
    The only worry I have blogging is we are preaching to the choir.
    This amendment really scares me because of the amount of FUD out the.
    But I was really happy how the meeting went.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We must remember that the focus needs to stay on city residents as those are the people who will be voting on the issue. We (rail transit proponents) need to be talking to people in Price Hill, Westwood, Madisonville, Mt. Washington and all the other neighborhoods about how rail transit is important for the whole city as it moves forward.

    We will be left behind during this ongoing economic and demographic shift just as we were the last time. Can we afford to let that happen again?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this review and insight, Jenny. You have hit the nail on the head. Thank you too for your courage to use this forum to help spread the word about the importance of this initiative. as you've said, this is not just about a streetcar -- but for long term political and economic stability in Cincinnati.

    I hope many people read your post.
    Joanne Maly

    ReplyDelete
  4. @5chw4r7z: I agree. The meeting went fantastically. I love when people can have rational discussion.

    @Randy: I guess when I say suburbs, I mean those neighborhoods. It's not OTR/Downtown that we need to focus on, it's the other voters.

    @JoanneMaly: Thanks for your kind words! If you tweet, spread the word and RT my post :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. People living in the city limits but not living downtown will need to hear how the streetcar will benefit them. People tend to not understand how government funding works. They think if the government is involved, it will increase their taxes. A great deal of education needs to happen. I suggest proponents create a comprehensive website that educates and explains how these funds won't impact taxes. Maybe we need a fundraiser to pay for some advertising.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A big problem in the debate is a common vocabulary. Supporters fairly have one, but the average Joe does not and the ignorance in the media just confuses everybody.
    The Provost goes into this here.
    From a debate perspective opponents have a much easier job as all they have to do is mislead an obfuscate. Supporters have a complex package of issues to explain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. www.cincystreetcar.com/support.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. If we can get people to understand the true verbiage on the ballot I think we can win their support and move Cincinnati forward. You are right, this is much bigger than streetcars!

    ReplyDelete