Páginas

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Diary of A DAAP Kid: Parties

When one thinks of college parties, beer pong, flip cup, kegs and flipped up collars may come to mind. Today I am here to distinguis the difference between the aformentioned college parties (aka Frat Parties) and the types of soirees us classy kids at DAAP like to throw.

In my four years at DAAP I've been to a number of shindigs ranging in scale from a few friends gathered for dinner and wine, to house-party madness a hundred costumed people strong.

The most important thing about DAAP parties is that there must be a theme. How else will you find the most ironic and creative outfit to wear?Yes, there's the usual themse, like Black and White, but how about Robots, Famous Couples, or Anything But Pants? Giving us crazy art students a chance to get creative AND drunk... now that's a match made in heaven.

Alas, many of my architect pals have graduated, and the number of parties has slowed to a trickle. This past Saturday night, however, I got a chance to attend the mother of all DAAP parties... ironically, not thrown by DAAP-ers, but by a group called Dance MF (you can fill in the abbreviation for yourself)

Dance MF traditionally hosts dance parties at the Northside Tavern on the first Saturday of every month. This month marked their one year anniversary (and the birthday of one of the creators)... so they threw themselves a big MF'n birthday party...

on a boat. ON A BOAT.


(image from It Probably Sucks)

I've been obsessed with this Lonely Island song (as have many other hipsters) since the first time someone else showed it to me on youtube. . Actually, I know all the words.

So when I heard the DANCE MF was going to be ON A BOAT, I was pretty darn excited. The tickets sold out quickly, but I managed to snag one via Craigslist about 5 hours before the ship set sail. I went with my friends Marco and Carrie and we had a blast.

The beer and wine and cake flowed, the DJ mixed some crazy beats, The Seedy Seeds totally rocked our faces, and I got to dance my tush off.

I would describe the mix and fashion of the people who attended, but I think pictures (none of them mine, all taken from MetroMix Cincy here:) will suffice. I'm pretty sure they were all DAAP graduates (or wannabes!)


check it out:


I'm on a boat and


it's going fast and


I got my nautical-themed pashmina afghan (Seedy Seeds!!)


Me, Marco and Carrie!

4 comments:

  1. This post made me smile, only because I finally went ahead and watched the video.

    And Remind me not to start with the HomestarRunner Accents with you. I do a KILLER HR, but all I can say is "Hey Karen, are you checking your email?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember those DAAP parties well and am bummed that I'm not around for them any more. I do recognize about a third of the people in these photos and think that the Lonely Island pic is the perfect screenshot from the video. Looks like some good times, because everyone knows that the Seedy Seeds are perfect for tush shaking.

    ReplyDelete