Páginas

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Charlotte, North Carolina




The streetcar debate is weighing heavily on my mind, and I think there's some things to be said...

that will wait til the next post.

Whilst on vacation, I got the opportunity to use the public transportation system in Charlotte, North Carolina. BF, friend and I stopped in Charlotte to get some lunch and see the sights. They basically totally humored me in riding the local light rail...

or else they got really sick of me talking about it.

Charlotte currently has a (free!) trolley system (NOT A STREETCAR) as well as a light rail system that runs out to the suburbs, but connects the stadium and the convention center (again, not a streetcar.) Apparently they have plans to install a streetcar at some point.


this is not a streetcar. it's a painted bus. btw.


Anyway, we walked around the city. I noticed they had bike lanes in the downtown area. There were several green/public spaces we walked by, and they were fairly full of the typical business-lunch crowd.



We each shelled out the $1.25 and hopped on the light rail and rode it a grand total of 2 stops - we didn't have time to ride the whole way. It was pretty sweet!


m@ figures out the money thang.


neato frito waiting area.


HERE IT COMES!!!! YAAAY!!!!


A clean, quiet ride and a diverse crowd. Lovin' it.

Charlotte and Cincinnati seem to be fairly similar. Charlotte is probably a little bigger than Cincy (sorry, too tired to look up facts) All in all it was a great little side trip, and I got my transit fix. SCORE.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, they're working on a modern streetcar line now that will run from their medical district, through Uptown (aka downtown) and over to the university. Sounds kind of familiar doesn't it? Great shots, glad to hear you have been enjoying your experiences. I always feel quite relaxed when I'm in Charlotte. Lots of displaced Ohioans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sad is it the truck parked in the bike lane.
    Now what do they do?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlotte I think is very different. There I am happy to be in Uptown because it is nice and clean and there are lots of cops walking around - very safe feeling. The homeless people even seem different. Cincy could take a lesson from the other queen city.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I feel perfectly safe walking around downtown Cincinnati/OTR, I agree that I noticed a difference in the actions and attitudes of the homeless. No one was soliciting, and they were not aggressive.

    ReplyDelete