Páginas

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Plastic Bag Love: PLAG

It's Friday. Time for some Plastic Bag Love!!

I used to work with an awesome chick named Nikki who is really into plastic bags. She was integral in helping me get up the courage to start recycleDbin, and she's probably one of my biggest fans. And I can't help but be one of hers, because she was the one who got me hooked on plastic bags in the first place!!



Nikki makes PLAGs. If you think that sounds like Plastic Bags... you're totally right. She is an avid knitter, and one day decided to make yarn out of plastic bags instead of the usual stuff. Here's the lowdown from her Etsy site:

"I heart the Earth. I want to keep living here. I want my great-great-grandkids to live here. And I try to do my part to leave a smaller "footprint." I use cloth bags when going to the store, but there are times I stop unexpectedly and inevitably I get a plastic bag. I don't want to put this plastic into the landfill because it NEVER breaks down. Not completely.

I saw this idea to cut up the plastic bags and use it as yarn to create a market bag. Great idea I thought. Practical, not so much. The plastic has a decent amount of give and can stretch out of place quickly with heavy groceries. I use mine more of tote bag. To carry the umbrella and lunch bag to the office. It's also perfect as a beach bag.

Each Plag is made using previously used plastic bags - approximately 50 of them. I change the pattern each time based on the materials. Pictured here is a striped version. I also have solid and pattern bags in process that can be held if you are interested."

so this is what the yarn looks like:



and here's another shot of the PLAG in all its handmade glory:



(all of the images come from her Etsy site, just FYI)

It's a really neat concept that is doing its part to keep plastic bags out of landfills. And that's what we love.

PS - check out the rest of Nikki's Etsy site for really adorable knitted items like this RoboBear. Shop Local!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks Jenny for you kind words and support! When are you opening an etsy store to sell the bins...?

    I'll give a 25% discount to your readers who are interested in buying a PLAG. Just put "Jenny" in the comment area, refund via paypal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Robobear...!!! If I had kids they'd all have a Robobear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That purse is adorable. You know who would love it is Laura (LMDeaton on Twitter). I am going to have to make sure she checks it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that is incredible. When does the gym bag come out?

    ReplyDelete
  5. They have a plastic bag display like this at BSU, i saw it today and thought of you. **Katy

    ReplyDelete